Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Million Little Pieces..

I have decided in keeping with the bookstore theme to keep the interior pretty simple, in order to bring more emphasis to the books and decor. I have stained the interior walls and floors with a natural stain. The stairs, banisters, rails and shelves were stained in a warm rosewood. Boy all those little spindles took a long time-- all 60 of them!! Everything was sanded and stained twice.

Doors and window frames were painted with dark green Benjamin Moore samples. Again, I wasn't happy with the eggshell finish, but didn't want to buy a pint, so I decided to do a little experiment. I happened to have some gloss Mod Podge on hand so I applied a very thin coat over the green and I think it turned out pretty well!


Even the mundane tasks of sanding so many little pieces and staining the same little wooden dowel 60 times (x2), I have to say that I have found a real Zen in these menial tasks. When I'm working on my miniature, the world seems to drift away, I zone out on Pandora music coming from my phone and let my mind wander. What a little bliss of "me" time!! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment