Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Building Day

Today was a day devoted to putting the pieces together! My first obstacle was figuring out how to pre-punch nail holes. My only other experience with a dollhouse was one that was given to my daughter years ago. I have no idea what brand it was, but it was very flimsy and cheaply built. Not so with the RGT kits! This is some serious wood! 
The wall in the middle is temporarily there to support the loft.

I was so afraid of nailing the holes too hard. I didn't want to split or ruin my project. After a little trial and error, I figured it out and was pretty surprised that I could actually hit the nail pretty darn hard with no splittage problems. The directions recommended doing this on a thick stack of papers. I just laid the pieces down on carpeting. 

Having two sets of hands for the assembly probably wouldn't have been a bad idea, but it really wasn't that difficult by myself. I used Elmer's Stainable Wood Glue and nailed where specified. The hardest part was maneuvering and holding the two roof peaks together- holding them steady while I tried to tape them in place.
gluing the storefront together

So far I'm pretty proud of my progress! It's starting to come together :)  I guess all those hours spent in my dad's garage weren't wasted afterall!
Starting to look good!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.